Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Enterprise Manager snap-in failed

Once upon a time, there were days when I'd swear I installed & uninstalled MSDE fifty times. And sometimes I would discover, next time I tried to use SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager, that it wouldn't work any more. I'd get this error:

Enterprise Manager snap-in failed

When this happens, the quickest solution is to re-install Client Tools. If the SQL Server 2000 installer is handy, grab it and run a Client Tools Only install.

But often, that doesn't run smoothly. I get this error:

Setup has detected an existing client tools only installation. Please use the maintenance mode to add client components

To get past this, edit the registry.

1. Run regedit.

2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools

3. Change the value of DefClientOnlyInstalled to 0.

4. Re-install Client Tools. It should work, and it will probably set the value back to 1.

Now you can use Enterprise Manager again.

I have also read of another solution, that doesn't involve installing Client Tools again. This is useful if you don't have a SQL Server 2000 CD handy, or don't have access to an installer locally or on a network drive.

1. Run Regedit.

2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\ClientSetup

3. On the right side, right-click and choose New-->String Value.

4. Name the new value SQLPath.

5. Double-click the SQLPath value to edit it. In the Value data field, enter:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools

6. Click OK, then close Regedit.

7. At a command prompt, run:

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\sqlmmc.dll"

I haven't had a chance to try this since I learned it, because it's been a while since I got a Snap-in failed to initialize error. If you try and it works for you, please let me know. Thanks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank You.
Pulling my hair oout for a couple of days.
I dome multiple installations before, but never ran into this issue.

Anonymous said...

I tried the regedit/regsrv option and it worked