Monday, August 25, 2008

What are the different versions of IIS?

A couple of weeks ago, He Who Is Colorful needed to document technical requirements for a new product. I got an IM from him asking what versions of IIS would be our "supported configurations."

Well, I don't think in terms of versions of IIS; I think in terms of operating systems. I know the app works on XP and 2003 Server, and I know I'm not going to bother testing 2000 until some customer needs it.

I bet I could make it work on Vista, but I'm not going to bother testing that either because I know our installer currently won't create virtual directories on Vista unless IIS is installed with Backwards Compatibility -- because of the new way IIS metabase information is stored. And besides, we're not going to support XP or Vista anyway, because they're not server operating systems, and won't support a realistic number of users hitting IIS at once. Not sure what you get with Vista, but with XP you only get 10 connections.

As for 2008 Server, it'll have the same limitation with our installer as Vista has.

Too late for a long story to be short, but anyway, I had to look up IIS version numbers for each OS. Don't want to have to do it again, so I'm documenting it here:

Windows 2000 Server: IIS 5.0
Windows XP: IIS 5.1
Windows 2003 Server: IIS 6.0
Windows Vista: IIS 7.0
Windows 2008 Server: IIS 7.0 also

Reference: Wikipedia

No comments: